COVID 19 RESPONSE:
ViequesLove is actively working to assist Emergency Management and health response agencies to increase capacity for dealing with the COVID-19 virus.
- Designed, implemented and facilitating contact tracing program for the island
- Supplied over 25,000 masks to first responders, healthcare workers and the community
- Wrote grant for Vieques Municipality Mayor Emeric to receive CARES Act funding.
- With CARES Act funding acquired 2 isolation chambers and four helmets for safe medical transport of Covid positive patients
- Organizing and managing drive through Covid testing events every weekend
- Supporting staff and other expenses at Covid testing events
- Set up the CDT, Municipality, healthcare workers, and Community Emergency Response with technology and connectivity to have video conferencing capability.
- Purchased a portable Hamilton T1 ventilator for use in the ambulance and ,if needed, transferred to the CDT or airplane.
- Sponsored and coordinated Covid 19 training incollaboration with the municipal government, emergency management and A.M.A.R.
ViequesLove formed to provide aide to Vieques after Hurricane Maria struck the island on September 20th, 2017 and the first to land a plane full of satellite phones and supplies five days after the storm. Our volunteers worked around the clock to secure lives, provide necessities, and provide support where it was most needed. Since then, we have focused on preparing the island for another event and collaborating with all organizations working toward a sustainable resilient future.
Support Our Work
ViequesLove needs your support now more than ever to safeguard future generations and create a more sustainable, resilient future.
Please consider a monthly donation to make these and other initiatives possible:
COMMUNICATION PROGRAMS ESTABLISHED
Vieques, is an island 7 miles off the coast of Puerto Rico a commonwealth of the United States. An island off an island, it is logistically challenging to get supplies or building materials here. Much of the help coming to Puerto Rico never makes it to Vieques. These challenges make not only recovery, preparation and mitigation difficult, but day-to-day living as well.
ViequesLove has the advantage of local knowledge, true love for the island, and the commitment of our team working for a better tomorrow and a more resilient island. Our families live here, our children go to school here, this is our home. We will make sure that your donation will not only make a difference, but we will strive for profound and lasting change for the future.
< HOW DONATIONS WERE USED
Sept. 20, 2017 – Dec. 15, 2018
What love can do.
ViequesLove has been working daily over the past two years on recovery, preparedness, resilience and sustainability.
Please join us by supporting our initiatives.
ViequesLove is proud to provide $25,000 to repair the Esperanza Malecon (esplanade) that was badly damaged by Hurricane Maria. The repair effort is a collaboration with the Municipality, Claritza Navarro of M&M Construction, island businesses and, of course, you our donors. The community is rallying to make this an island wide effort to support fundraising efforts for this and other needs on the island, proving once again, that there is nothing more powerful than neighbors helping neighbors. [The repair to the Malecón is considered a temporary patch needed immediately to ensure the safety of residents and visitors. Our community efforts to ensure safety and beautify the Malecón should in no way affect the permanent reconstruction funded by FEMA.] We need your help to continue to fund projects like this. Please continue your support.
Lessons Learned and Partners Gained
Not only were important lessons learned from Hurricane Maria for resilience and preparedness, but due to an overwhelming outpouring of response and support, ViequesLove found partners, collaborators, supporters, and friends of the island. We will continue our efforts to increase our network of magnificent participants, benefactors, and affiliates to work together for a better future for Vieques.